Sunday 20 January 2013

DIY: Upcycled Solar Lamp



My first do-it-yourself! Hurrah! Today I am going to show you how to use a few household items to make a neat solar lamp.  I love the concept of upcycling. Taking crap around my house and making it new and awesome? I'm in! I made a few of these lamps for one of my sisters for Christmas, and of course my other sister was like "Where's mine?!"


There are a variety of ways to make this lamp. I'll tell you what I used and then give some other decorative options.

Materials
1. A large wine glass.  I got mine at the goodwill for $0.49.  The lamps I made for my sister were in mason canning jars.  Really as long as the solar panel fits on the top of the canister you use, you're good.
2. A lawn solar lamp.  These run about 3$ at your local hardware store. Charge it in the sunMake sure not to get one that is too small! Again, the only REAL thing you need to make sure of is that this panel fits on your container.
3. Glitter. It doesn't matter what color (black might even be interesting). I have also seen these done with spray paint and decorative pebbles.
4. Hardwood floor polish.  Runs about $1 if you don't have it in your house already. This is what makes the glitter stick!

Step 1. 
Pour a half a cup of the hardwood floor polish into your glass. Cover the canister with something and shake, shake, shake it up so the floor polish coats the inside of the glass completely. I just put the excess polish back in the bottle, but if you aren't feeling quite as ecofriendly (no judgies) pour the excess down the drain.  If you have any bubbles from your shaking, wait until they dissapate (blow on them) before proceeding to the next step.


 Step 2.
Pour as much glitter as you need into your polish-coated canister and coat the sides with your glitter! Shake, shake, shake again!  Dispose of your excess fairy dust as you wish.
Step 3.
Unscrew the charged solar panel from the rest of your lawn lamp, and place it atop your new sparkly glass. You only need the solar panel, so discard the stand as you wish.

Turn out the lights and TA DAAAAAA. Oh so sparkly......

3 comments: